Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 3 June 4, 2011 - The Politics of Divorce

So this is my third post and I must admit, I'm getting challenged writing in this blog without being repetitive. This third post is going to be about divorce and how politics is involved in it. For some, they might say that the proposal is all about the protection of the family, women, and children. They might argue that with the present condition of our country today, divorce is a viable option for the protection of the family. Could it really be a solution?

I say NO. Divorce shouldn't even be an option. Divorce will just be used as an easy escape route to their responsibilities and obligations. I'm quite a conservative individual. I've read the provisions of the bill already and right now, I don't think that my stand is gonna change anytime soon. I was 13 when my parents parted ways. I must admit it was very difficult for me at first but I sort of got used to it already by now. I grew up as a teenager missing a parent. I spend most of my time home alone. I have to admit, it can get very depressing. Especially when I have no siblings. Sometimes I say to myself, I would want other kids to experience this kind of life. 

I'm surprised that the authors of this bill is GABRIELA. I think this party-list is a group striving for the protection of women and children all over the country. I always thought that women would be the ones against divorce. I guess it's just a typical stereotype of guys on women. Perhaps it's because we don't have divorce here in our country. 

If you read the introduction of the bill, there was a part there where the authors discussed about respect for religion and equality of treatments among religions in our country. They pointed out that in the Filipino-Muslim law, legal separation is allowed. But doesn't the whole point of the difference in religion contradict their argument? They're pushing for equality of laws among all religion. So why not respect the Catholic teaching of not allowing divorce? As I've mentioned in the first post, I am not a devout catholic. I don't even go to church that often. If parity in the laws among religion is what they're pushing for, they should probably reevaluate their thoughts because I think there is nothing unfair about our laws in the first place. It's amazing how ridiculous and silly some lawmakers can be. I was able to watch a plenary session a few years back and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was like a grade school class discussing the alphabet while singing nursery rhymes. I couldn't imagine how grown men and women can come up with such childlike ideas. 

My last point in this post that I would wish to convey to our great lawmakers who are in favor of the Divorce bill is to put themselves in a situation wherein they are deeply considering filing for divorce. I would like to ask them to think about how this could affect their lives and the lives of their children. Is this really the best way for you and your partner to resolve a problem? Is it best for the both of you or is it just the best for you only? Think wisely dear congressmen and women. It wouldn't hurt to use your brains once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment