Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 1 - May 31, 2011

So we've been asked to blog about the pending House Bill in Congress which is the HB 1799, The Divorce Bill Philippines. For those who new to this certain bill, here's a link of the full text of the proposal. http://www.coolbuster.net/2011/05/divorce-bill-philippines-hb-1799.html.  Today is the first time that I've read the said Bill so I'm not very knowledgeable about it yet. This entry will be based purely on my thoughts and opinions regarding divorce in our country should we allow it then later on, I'll get to the more technical side of Bill once I've fully read the text.

Right upfront I'm going to openly say that I am against the Divorce Bill. I believe in the sanctity of marriage. I believe that marriage is the one institution that people should not take for granted nor rush into. I know most of you might think that I would know anything about the topic since I'm not married, but I've seen some marriages prosper and falter throughout my life and what I can tell you about marriages is that they always start out lovely in the beginning. From then on, it's up to the couple how they will resolve conflicts or problems that will inevitably face them. The main reason why I am against the proposed bill is because I know what consequences a broken family will bring to children. Based from the marriages I've seen from my circle of friends, almost half of them have already been broken. Perhaps it's a trend nowadays that couples tend to part ways. There are countless reasons for couples to part. But in my humble opinion, people should get to know their significant other very well first before they even think of entering the institution of marriage. Know your partner from head to toe. Know every bit and parcel of his/her being. Know his/her characteristics and imperfections. Only then that i think people should think about marriage. I strongly believe that some marriages end because people didn't get to know the person completely. I also understand that people change throughout the course of time. BUT IF COUPLES REALLY LOVE EACH OTHER, THEY WILL FIND A WAY TO STAY TOGETHER. NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES MAY BE. Although I am not a devout catholic, this is the institution that matters most to me. I know this sounds like a mushy romantic movie theme but this is what I think of marriage. Divorce makes marriage look like a short term agreement or a momentary contract with voidable terms.

Another reason why I am against this bill is that, I believe that the development of our youth today will primarily rely on the upbringing that the parents will give them. The development of a child would be primarily affected given if and when he grows up with only 1 parent. I think that the most conducive environment for children to grow in is within the boundaries of a complete family. I have no doubt that some parents can raise their children alone but it would absolutely make a big difference if all the elements of a family are complete. I come from a broken family so I know what it's like to grow up in this kind of situation. I wouldn't want other children to experience this kind of upbringing. I think that passing HB 1799 would just amplify a more unproductive and unstable society for the youth to dwell in.

This is my first entry and as I have said above, I have yet to read the provisions of the bill. My insights could probably change when I get to read the full text of the bill. There might be provisions in the bill that the family would really benefit from or there could be things that the government can do to help couples get  through their situation (I seriously doubt it). But for now, this is my stand. This is what I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment